SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chavez_gw

Just started the organic program

chavez
15 years ago

So I have read most of the post on this forum. I am going to give this a try.

Lawn - St Agustine Floratam, Sapphire, weed mixture

Mow on highest setting on cheapo Bolens walk behind

Water - none but have started to run the system to get things started. Will take suggestions on watering from this forum

1/4 acre lot with a 2500sqft house - maybe 7000-8000sqft of lawn?

We bought the house about a year ago. It was a foreclosure so the lawn was neglected. It was neglected another year as I travelled most of last year. This is the year I plan on getting things going.

So here is what I have done:

Week 1 - Applied 32oz Molasses (Grandmas and Publix's brand) 50/50 mix with Apple cider vinegar- used 2oz setting on hose end sprayer and sprayed utnil liquid was gone

Week 2 -

100lbs of Cracked Corn (Never Again)

100lbs Alfalfa

100lbs SBM

32oz of Molasses as above

Waterd in for 1hr with irrigation system

Some questions -

The corn is attracting lots of birds, thus, I will never do this again. The freakin Sand Hill Cranes are bigger than my son and scare the heck out of him. Do I really need corn? I plan on resodding about 2000-2500 sqft of sod in the front yard this weekend. I know I will be watering the heck out of for a few weeks. Will also be plugging some bare areas with sapphire/floratam at the same time. Anyone need 100# of cracked corn?

Is there a brand of rotary spreader that is good to use for Alfalfa pellets and cracked corn (in case I need to apply)? I used a lesco brand wide open and nothing came out. The SBM was fine.

Any suggestions on a sprayer (hand or backpack) for compost tea? Brewing some ACT this weekend for spraying on the sod. Or can I use the hose end sprayer?

Comments suggestions are welcome.

Comments (8)