SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

chilli thrips on knockouts

annafl
17 years ago

We have a new pest in FL. A very tiny thrip that damages roses, some veggies, and some fruits, misc. stuff.

My knockouts have been looking kinda puny this summer. The blooms are much smaller, a little distorted, some buds chewed off at the top, brown streaks, etc. The new, red foliage is smaller, streaked and not evenly colored. Some leaf drop going on. Last spring I had an infestation of the regular, black thrips, and it was either coincidence, or the beneficial nematodes I sprayed got rid of them in 2 weeks. I also bagged and disposed of affected blooms on an almost daily basis.

Since the roses have had these symptoms, I have been on the lookout for recurrence of the black thrips, but haven't seen a one. However, recently I read about this new chilli thrip that attacks roses and I went out with my strongest reading glasses, and there they were. VERY TINY, but there. I had prophylactically sprayed more beneficial nematodes a few days ago. I don't know if there has been any difference, since I only noticed these creatures after the fact.

I'm thinking about just waiting another couple of weeks to see if the nematodes will work on them, and perhaps stepping up the deadheading to include all the buds and even their preferred new foliage. Any other advice? I've read a little about spinosad, but am not sure I want to try it.

Anyone else having the same problem with their knockouts? You really have to have strong lenses to see these pests, but the symptoms are very easy to see.

Comments (2)