SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jordanz_gw

Schedule to Fertilize, Seed, and Aerate this Fall?

jordanz
13 years ago

So I live in the Mojave desert, we get up to 110 in the summer, but lately it's been in the 90's and gradually going down in temps. Our first frost date is usually around mid-November. Winter's are very mild, we freeze overnight for about a month, but only get snow 1 or 2 days out of the year. I seeded from scratch in May Tall Fescue and then threw in some Bermuda a couple months later to fill in the bare spots. It's done pretty good so far...the only fertilizer I've given it was some Scott's starter fertilizer when I seeded in May.

I'm wondering what the schedule of things is that I need to do now or this fall. I need to aerate, because we have super hard clay soil. Some areas have grass have started to die off because I probably didn't soften the soil deeper than a couple inches and they've reached the hard concrete-like layer. I also have some Scott's lawn fertilizer that I need to lay down. And I want to seed Tall fescue (which should live through the winter correct?) and Bermuda (can I seed that now, or what till spring?).

What order should I do things? I hear Labor day weekend is when most people fertilize, should I do it then? I was thinking seed and then fertilize (and water it in) in the same day. Then maybe wait a couple weeks and aerate...does that sound good? This is my first lawn, so I'm not sure when to do things, and what time of year to do them.

Comments (7)