SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerseylawn

Lawn fertilizer schedule

JerseyLawn
9 years ago

Hi.. I recently purchased my first home and like most people inherited a poorly maintained yard. I've been reading this site a lot and must say the information on here has helped me get started to a lawn that I can be proud of. First thing I did was to get my soil tested. I have posted the results in the picture attached and the recommendation below. So far I have done the following:

Early May I put down Lesco 24-0-11 fertilizer. This past weekend I put an application of Grubex. My question is based on the soil test was that the proper fertilizer to use? I know they recommended a 3-1-2. But I could not find any at my local hardware stores. I've also read that my next application should be more natural such as milorganite since it won't burn the lawn with the summer heat. Forgive me if I'm completely off as I am a newbie to all of this. Additionally I use a riding mower and mulch the lawn clipping back into the grass. If someone can guide me into a proper fertilizer schedule I would appreciate. Again thanks in advance for all your help!

I'm located in Northern Jersey.

This is a copy and paste from my report:

pH, Calcium, and Magnesium Recommendations
The soil pH is in the optimum range of 6.00 to 6.60 for the growth of most Turfgrass, cool season. Do not apply any limestone.

Fertilizer Recommendations
For this management level, prescribed fertilizer should be applied four times yearly: 1) in EARLY APRIL, 2) in MAY, 3) in
LATE AUGUST, and 4) in OCTOBER. Do not apply when grass is not growing (dormant). For sandy soils, split each
application into two doses spaced 3 to 5 weeks apart to minimize potential for leaching loss. N.J. law prohibits
application of fertilizer containing nitrogen or phosphorus after November 15 (December 1 for professional certified
applicators) and before March 1.

Target ratio for fertilizer product is: 3-1-2 ,

Comments (5)