SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Walating yesterday - photo heavy

As of this morning, we've had 3" of rain in June! That's helped make up for the dry/snowless winter and dry spring but I hope there's more to come too. Most things are looking good at the moment - it's hard to decide what to take a picture of! When the sun is out, it's very intense so the pictures don't come out very good. I did a walk-about yesterday with camera in hand and this is the result...

The roses and peonies on the north side of the driveway are doing great so far. Last year, for the first time, we had a dreadful invasion of Japanese Beetles. I'm holding my breath at the moment - I haven't seen them this year so far... The Angel roses at the base of the big white rose have some mildew - that's newer happened before. I'm assuming the dry start to the year is responsible for that.

{{gwi:163302}}

This is looking up the south side of the driveway, along the herb bed and down the south side of the house towards the south alley gate, from the street:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2170/1483676/23253929/388105583.jpg

The big pots of peas in front of the herb bed are doing nicely; we should be getting peas from the earliest maturing ones by the end of next week.

{{gwi:163303}}

Randy picking strawberries for breakfast:

{{gwi:163304}}

Poor Vyvyan is hanging in there but not looking too healthy. There is one stem almost to the top of the lattice today though. There hasn't been any wilted bits in a few days. She was looking a bit pale and we gave her some fertilizer yesterday.

{{gwi:163305}}

Speaking of clematis... The tripod seems to be working although looks a bit more daddy-long-legs that I hoped. I won't post a picture of the whole thing until it (hopefully) gets fully covered in vines. But this is a section of it now:

{{gwi:163306}}

The Niobe on the arbour (which wilted every year) doesn't seem to have showed up this year. The honeysuckle on the right side had died out. We took a cutting from the one on the left last summer. It rooted well and is now making its way up the right side.

{{gwi:13333}}

The empty spot on the left in this picture (which Randy took from the garage roof) is where the iron tuteur will go. I haven't heard back from Mario on when it will arrive. Since he had called a month ago to say it was delayed due to his wife having heart trouble, I haven't wanted to bug him about it. They also have an adult mentally-disabled son at home, so they've got a lot to deal with. I will probably have Barb call next week - she worked for them for a bit so can make more tactful enquiries than I can...:-)

{{gwi:163307}}

This picture is a ground-level look towards the bench with the colors less washed-out:

{{gwi:163308}}

We got a rain barrel for the southeast corner of the house. The downspout there kept washing out the path to the south gate so we hope a rain barrell might help. The brown rain barrel disappears quite nicely as does the black overflow pipe. But the green drain hose is definitely the wrong green! As is the green one Randy attached to drain the barrel towards the roses on the south gate. We're going to change that to a black soaker hose. We got 9mm of rain last night and the barrel overflowed! So it might not be very useful...

{{gwi:163309}}

In the backyard the Beautybush is putting on a nice show at the back of the house:

{{gwi:36059}}

Ramona and her big friends are looking good at the south fence:

{{gwi:163310}}

My favorite group of greens near the shed:

{{gwi:163312}}

The back porch from the lawn - Misty and I spend a lot of the summer hanging out on the lounge chair there:

{{gwi:163313}}

This is an odd little experiment. A few years ago a bird-sown Angel rose seedling showed up at the edge of a pine. I let it be, not expecting it to live. It did nothing much for a year or two and then decided it needed to climb up if it wanted enough light to bloom. We stuck a bamboo pole in and tied it up, once again not expecting it to survive. It appears it's going to make a go of it so now we need to do something to give it a more attractive support!

{{gwi:163314}}

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!