SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tibs_gw

A day with the Aunts and other relatives and I said no to 2 cats

tibs
16 years ago

I took my nother and her sister, both in their 80's to their aunt's 100 birthday party. This is an Aunt by marriage so I didn't get any of her good genes for long life or her love of music. She was the local school music director, choir, band,and orchrestra in the 1930's thru the 60's. Wrote many articles on music educations, children's songs and books. I was always uncomfortable around her as a child because I am so nonmusical and was the grubby tomboy. She has scholorships established at her alma matter and several other colleges for students going into music education. I had heard all this growing up but never paid much attention and did not realize how much she was repected and honored in the musical education world. She even received a special CD of a birthday greeting from one of the Von Trapp family. I was impressed. I loved that movie as a kid. It was the first movie I saw twice at the theater.

My mother and aunt had a wonderful time seeing relatives they han't seen for years. I meet 3rd cousins and cousins many times removed that I had never met.

My great aunt was charming, gracious, and looks like Maureen O'hara both in her youth and now.

Now about the cats.

Dropped off my Aunt at her home. She currently has I think 6 cats. (I come from a long line of cat people). She has 4 of the sweetest 1/2 grown cats I have ever met. They purr if you look at them. They love to have their tummies rubbed. (I would lose a hand if I tried to pat one of my felines on the stomach). Auntie tells the story of how she got so many cats:

Sammy, the yellow/white tom, brought home his pregnant teenage girlfriend (when telling this to dh and ds they intereupted me at this point to ask if I was still talking about cats). She had 6 kittens. 2 found home with a granddaughter and 4 are still there. Sammy is the best daddy. He plays with his children and washes them. I have never heard of a male doing this.

Auntie told me I had to take 2 and I said no. I think my rambunctious bunch would ruin their sweet disposition. Besides I promised dh no more cats or flower beds. (I didn't promise no new vegetable or shrub beds, I am not that stupid.)

I also said no to a bag of glass peanut butter jars, Honesty seeds, that stuff takes over, and a big box of magazines. I did come home with a small box of books. You never leave my aunt's withought some lovely bit of auction/garagesale/secondhand store/recycleable material.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions