SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
4kids4us

So much for the relatively relaxing Thanksgiving I was anticipating.

4kids4us
8 years ago

My parents and my brother and his family are the only ones who live nearby. My sister and her family are 6 hours away. I don't keep track of her holiday schedule - for years, she used to trade back and forth b/w coming here and going to her in-laws and flip flopped with Christmas as well. Several years ago they stopped traveling for Christmas and since then, I've never really kept track of what she was doing. I talked to my mother about two weeks ago regarding Thanksgiving. She said that my brother wasn't coming this year as he was going to his in-laws. My mother usually hosts Christmas b/c her house is bigger. Thanksgiving is often a trade off. Since my brother wasn't coming, I told my mom to just plan to come to my house for Thanksgiving. We never discussed what she would bring, but I figured as the date drew near, we'd have that conversation. she likes to bake, so she normally brings a couple of pies and I handle the meal.

So my mom emailed to say she was going to the grocery store tomorrow so could I please call her to discuss what she should bring. We were on the phone for at least 10 minutes, talking about the various pies, etc. She was going to bring two. At some point, she started talking about my 17 y/o niece and how she just found out she is a vegan (my sister's dd, the one who lives 6 hrs away). She went on to say that she was questioning my sister about what to make for her. I was confused...what did she mean? Why would she be making food for my niece? I then outright asked, "Is Monica coming to visit for Christmas?" Silence from my mom. Then, "What do you mean? They are coming on Tuesday for Thanksgiving." WHAT?????

I've already ordered my turkey (no big enough now for leftovers). I was planning on a rather basic traditional Thanksgiving since my kids aren't that adventurous when it comes to eating. So now I need to rethink my stuffing recipe (plain), add some side dishes and appetizers, get a second smaller turkey, etc. THANK GOD my mother said something about my niece being a vegan! Had she not said anything, they seriously would have all arrived on Thanksgiving and I wouldn't have known! My mom said, "Well, she comes every other year. How could you not know?" Like seriously? I'm supposed to keep track of my sister's holiday schedule? Honestly, I didn't even know she came every other year b/c her whole holiday schedule thing w/staying home for Christmas only changed a couple of years ago, so I just relied on my mom to tell me when my sister was visiting or not. I can barely keep track of my four kids' schedules on a daily basis let alone remember if my sister was here for Thanksgiving last year or not.

Fortunately, my niece is not *strict* vegan in that she told my sister apparently that while she wouldn't eat the turkey, if there are dairy products in the side dishes, etc, that she would still eat them this one time. Good b/c most of my side dishes have butter or eggs. I was planning on making butternut squash soup tomorrow for myself just for the week in general, but at least that is something she can eat that is vegan. Except I usually make with chicken stock but at least I have warning now and can pick up vegetable broth tomorrow instead!

So yeah, my quiet 8 person meal with only my parents as guests has just turned into 13, including a 5 y/o who is terrified of dogs. And I have a 100 lb lab!!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations