SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margretta_devries

How do I calculate relative natural gas usage in two apartments?

Last summer, I took over as landlord for two apartments in a single building (inherited on dad's death). As this was his workshop and long-time single family dwelling, all of the utilities are each on a single meter, and I am left making an arbitrary division of utilities (1/2 each) among the tenants.

This seemed fine, until I went into the upstairs apartment on two separate occasions in late Feb / early March, and discovered that the inside temperature was *80 degrees*! I told the tenant that I would need to apportion more than half of the gas bill to her, and she said "oh, no, we haven't been running the furnace, it's just that warm up here."

Note: I *lived in* this same apartment for 7 years, and I know for a fact that it is not ever "just" 80 degrees in that apartment IN THE WINTER (no matter how mild).

So now I find myself wanting to know if/how I can calculate the natural gas usage in each of the two spaces with a bit higher degree of accuracy than just guessing. Here are the factors:

• Each apartment has its own furnace, but they share one (42-year-old) gas water heater. (Yes, this is the first thing I am going to update, once out of probate!)
  • The downstairs apartment also has a gas stove, and I need to check to see if the downstairs dryer is also hooked up to the gas.

Is there any math problem that I can use to calculate the difference between how much the downstairs furnace would need to run to keep 10,500 cu. ft at 68 degrees, while the upstairs furnace keeps 9,000 cu. ft at 78 degrees?

Comments (14)