SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tim52317

newer boiler but stil not saving gas, what can I do?

tim52317
15 years ago

Hi,

I have two questions. The fist is why I am not saving anything gas now that I have changed boilers.

And second is why now my basement is cold?

Here is some back ground. I have lived in my home since fall of 1998. Prior to us moving in the house was owned and lived in by my wifes parents. The home is a two plus story ( attic) Victorian and was built in 1910. 2072 sq ft above ground, 1100 sq ft first level. 972 on second floor and 972 for a non heated basement and a walk in attic which is also not heated. . In the 70Âs or 80Âs the plaster and lath were removed from in the entire second floor from the walls and ceiling. Walls and ceiling were insolated with fiberglass and a plastic vapor barrier installed and covered with drywall . In the early 90Âs the wood siding was removed, tyvek installed along with vinyl siding. 1999-2005 the plaster and lath removed from the fist floor. Encapsulated fiberglass insulation installed in walls and ceiling and covered with drywall. About half of the windows on the first floor were replaced with double vinyl replacement inserts. The remainder of the windows and doors are original with aluminum storms. Heated with a hot water boiler and cast iron radiators.

Last winter my old Natural Gas boiler began leaking. The old boiler was a Model G-15T-JX made by Triad Products Corp. with a normal input BTU per hour rating of 210,000 and a normal out put of 168,000. According to a guy who did an energy audit the boiler was made around 1945.

I had a local heating company give me a bid to install a new one $7k-$13k. Depending on boiler efficiency and a add on water heater. But I later found a Weil McLain CG-5-SPDN Series 11 .140,000 input BTU and 102,000 output. This was right in line with the units the one company bid, based on measurements of the radiators that they took. So, I had my favorite heating repairman install it. He used the old expansion tank and everything was left on one zone as before.

The first issue I had was losing water out the relief valve and repeated air lock in one radiator. I call the guy who installed it and he had me shut off the incoming water to the unit. I was not able to be present when the water was released to know what the pressure was. Even after turning off the water I still had a couple instances where it released about a pint of water then it has been ok since.

I compared my gas usage on my December bill to last yearÂs usage and found very little difference. So close in fact, I called to make sure they did not estimate it instead of reading the meter. We had left town for a week and had the thermostat turned down to 50 degrees. I expected a considerable change based on lower heat setting and what should be a more efficient boiler.

The radiators seem to get completely cold at times and oddly enough the basement is extremely cold. 40 to 45 degrees. I spent a lot of time in the basement last year while old boiler was leaking, because the pilot would keep going out due to the leak. I donÂt remember it being that cold. Am I not getting any heat in the basement from the exposed pipes because the boiler is too large and not staying on? I remember when the in-laws lived here they would open the basement door to allow warm air into the kitchen. I added a radiator in the kitchen to help with the heat.

I put 2 inch hard insulation over the windows and covered the door to the outside with insulation and plastic.

I did a heat loss calculation based on information from Weil MeLainÂs web site. I came up with a minimum BTU rating of 75,589.

Any ideas would be a great help.

Comments (3)