SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcfromfl

Moles!

bcfromfl
13 years ago

OK, so I realize that trying to rid your yard of moles is probably an exercise in futility. I've searched this forum, and have done an exhaustive review of everything I can find on the web. What I'm hoping for is some little tidbit from someone that might offer a ray of hope, or an approach I haven't thought of.

I live in the Florida panhandle, with a well cared-for centipede lawn. I don't have that many moles, perhaps four or five, that seem to live underneath the slab of the house. Unfortunately, their forays out for food have destroyed large sections of turf, which subsequently doesn't recover quickly. I have one section of yard alongside the north side of the house that still hasn't recovered from a particularly bad season three or four years ago.

Spring and fall seem to be the worst months, when they move shallower. Within the past few days, all of a sudden I have tunnels everywhere, and the neighbors probably think I'm a madman going around stomping them down again before all the grass dies.

What particularly makes me angry are the websites that describe their behavior, and that mole tunnels are "unsightly" but don't cause any damage! Holy cow, how wrong this is! They cut grass roots when they tunnel -- doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what happens next!

I've tried everything, from the stuff you scatter and is supposed to drive them off from the smell, to pellets, the horrendously expensive Tomcat worms, and Juicy Fruit gum. For four years I've tried the scissors-type of trap, but have yet to nail one. They never seem to use the same tunnel twice, even if I try to place them alongside landscape edging, sidewalks, etc.

My lawn is treated on a schedule by TruGreen, and they add pesticide to the application to reduce/eliminate lawn insects, grubs, mole crickets, etc. I know this has no effect on earthworms, however.

I'm on my way this afternoon to pick up a spike trap or two...maybe they will work a little better. Although, I'll still have the same problem of locating a main tunnel.

My lawn also has torpedo grass, but at least I'm eliminating that bit by bit. These moles are the most destructive thing I have to deal with in my lawn!

Appreciate any and all comments...except the ones that say the only sure-fire method is to move! ;-)

-Bruce

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm