SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Saturday's Journal

calliope
16 years ago

For some reason, today has felt like Sunday. The differences in my daily routine are more mental than physical anyway. There is a huge beef brisket in my oven now, turned very low and simmering hours for tenderness. My mother says, it was her g'father's fav Sunday meal, maybe that's why I feel like Sunday.

We took our flowers to market today, and the sales were dismal, hardly worth the trip. That's our clue the fat lady has sung until fall season. The box stores have their shade cloth forced mums out, hoping to get the edge on the market. Every year, it gets earlier. Before you know it, they'll be peddling them on mother's day. LOL.

I have seen some very neat things in my vegetable garden, I never noticed before and thought I'd share if you're interested. We all know sweet corn is wind pollinated, but this is the first time I realised that pollinating insects don't care, they hover around collecting pollen anyways. The corn tassles are alive with bees. Duh. Some of the ears are fattening up and the silks turning gold. I predict fresh corn on the table my next mid-week.

Today I also noticed the field mice in my veggies. I know they get in there, but have never really just sneaked up on them and observed. Two of them were scaled up to the tips of my green pepper plants, like a couple of lumberjacks. What were they eating? Nasty little weed heads. LOL. I just tip-toed away and let them have at it.

I am growing pumpkins this year, big moon to be exact. Those are one of the varieties one sees at fairs and they get huge. I'll process and freeze one of them and it'll be enough pumpkin for pies until the net year. I can go out each morning, and swear some of the cucurbits have doubled in size overnight. I put my cukes on tomato cages this year and shall have to continue that practice in years to come. Of course they grow to the point they eventually flow over them like a waterfall, but the vines stay well aired and the fruits hang like christmas ornaments, easily picked and not fouled by mud. One can also see the beetles easily and remove them, not to mention the bees find the flowers more easily to pollinate. I've already picked enough for a large run of picalilli. I always make bread and butter pickles, but this year wanted something else. The pickling spices my daughter had brought back from England, and since they were handy, I just used them. It was a bit different from the spices I normally use, but very pleasant indeed. Put me in mind of pickles the old timers made with a spice in it I couldn't identify, but like. I used a whole jar of it yesterday to make ham salad, and my dh pronounced it delicious.

Although a couple of the chickens remain broody, determined to sit eggs, the rest of the hens are laying with abandonment. I am still looking for ways to use the surplus I don't sell. Tonight, it's a baked meringue shell topped with heavy whipped cream and sugared strawberries. It doesn't get much better than that.

We've had rains this week, and everything green is thankful, I'm sure.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions