SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Snow weekend journal 30-31 January 2010

rob333 (zone 7b)
14 years ago

It snowed! For real snow. Well, for us, real. Just my guess, but I'd say my end of town got about 3-4 inches of snow. At least judging by the swing and the tops of the trashcan lids. It began on Friday and so on Saturday I decided I would make myself think I was "snowbound", not true, but I did think any unneeded driving isn't a good idea (in Nashville). There are two types of drivers here. There are the nervous nellies that have no clue how to drive in it all, and don't realize they need to get up speed to go up a hill or think "please don't slide, please don't slide" to their car, and are subsequently, terrified when it does happen. Then there are the redneck four wheel drive owners who think that because they own such vehicles they "own" the road and drive manically, never going slower, or taking curves as though they could possibly keep on going... right into a telephone pole. That is, they act as though they are impervious to the ice. Those are the ones that end up on the news with the commentator pointing to them in the ditch saying "Dan it sure looks like the roads are icy today...". I wanted to avoid all the dodging and stayed in. I made beignets and chicory cafe au lait. Then I cleaned out the refrigerator. Not I threw out old food and washed the containers cleaned out the frig, I mean I took the shelves out and sanitized them. And the vegetable drawers. Then I cleaned out the pantry. I noticed I was running low on groceries, but I decided to wait on melted ice to drive to the store. I'll go tonight. LF wanted to make snowballs and snowmen, and to sled, but it wasn't the right kind of snow to make those things and he had to wait until I was done to go sledding. We got bundled up, me with my layers and him with his plastic bags over socks and two pairs of non-ski gloves, which did not equate to waterproof. I'd been in the attic and found the lid to a storage bin and made holes in it. I ran a belt through the holes to make a handle. It worked pretty well. We laughed and laughed as he slid in every direction but the one for which he aimed.

Sunday was more of the same, except LF decided the snow had become the right kind of snow (when he saw the neighbors making a snowman) and went outside. He made a huge ball 1/2 as tall as he. When I stuck my head outside and said, why don't you make the second ball he said, "Because it's not a snowman. (duh?! implied) It's a giant snowball." I did cook up all the chicken thighs in the house. I have teriyaki, barbeque and a bourbon glaze done. LF loves teriyaki chicken so that is a big plus for me. One of the few "adult" foods he'll eat. Yea! We watched Shakespeare in Love, me for the fifth or so time, and him for the first time. He liked it pretty well and even changed it back to then when I changed it to a kids show when the phone rang; I looked at the caller ID and I knew I wouldn't continue watching the movie. I'm having special company this weekend and so I will spend the rest of the week finishing up what I began last weekend and continued this weekend, extreme cleaning. I can't wait until I have a girl's night out on Saturday like a real grown up!

LF's joke of the day "What did the scientist say when he saw spit?"

It's alive-uh (be sure to smush the s from it's up to alive)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions