SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
takadi

Looking for a pet/domesticated animal for my garden

takadi
14 years ago

I live on a small plot (less than a quarter of an acre), but I'd like to have some kind of pet or animal I can keep in the backyard throughout all four seasons. The main thing I'd want is pest control for as wide range of bugs as possible (this year I had problems with caterpillars, slugs, Japanese beetle larvae, cuke beetles, SVB, squash bugs, aphids, and leaf hoppers) and perhaps weed control and some grass hedging as a bonus, but that isn't necessary. The most important things are that it is easy to take care of, friendly and/or obedient, and will not damage the existing garden infrastructure including the soil, plants, seeds, decorations, etc. The noise factor might be an issue but that's not really important to me since I live right beside a busy road. Also, related to the whole being easy to take care of, I wouldn't want something that is too wild and curious, as to risk it escaping or running away too easily. I have lots of large spaces in my fence which I can't mess with since it is county property. I'd preferably like for it to stay in some small house outside and wander around the garden in the immediate area.

I live in Northern VA, and I was thinking of maybe getting a duck or a guinea hen, but I'm not sure if these meet my requirements or are even available in the immediate area.

Comments (27)