SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

Raleigh, NC, fescue sod renovation advice needed

tracey_b
12 years ago

The yard at our new house was sodded 1 yr ago. They laid the fescue sod down on hardpacked clay (VERY compacted in a lot of areas due to street construction and pushing boulders into our corner lot). In the really bad spots, there is nothing left but some brown stubble with the plastic web "backing" of the sod visible. Not even weeds are growing there! Elsewhere the sod is just "weak" with some weeds (in some spots, a lot of crabgrass---and yes, we did the pre-emergent early last spring).

Here's what I have planned for us in the coming days (we have a 1.5 acre, irrigated lot with about 1/4 left natural). Aeration. Then, I'm going to get some good topsoil w/ compost and spread this over the really bad spots, filling the holes left behind by the aeration. Seeding. Fertilizing.

How thinly should I try and spread the topsoil/compost mix?

Seed--what type/brand? We have some areas that get full sun; the rest is part sun/shade. Should I use different seed for the different areas?

Starter Fertilizer or something else? At which point do I do this--before/after which step (aeration, top dressing, seeding)?

I just picked up soil testing boxes this week, so we'll collect samples today. I don't know the turnaround on the free state testing.

Thank you for any suggestions you have for me. I appreciate your time and experience!

Tracey

Comment (1)