SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indianahome_gw

Indiana Lawn Damage / Disease

indianahome
13 years ago

Two problem patches of grass...

1. On each side of the driveway Has grub damage. I peeled back the sod and saw some. IÂm not sure if all the damage is from grubs or also disease. I have applied some Sevin for grubs and other bugs and watered it in.

{{gwi:116655}}

2. The other patch in the backyard is a mystery to me. I have peeled back several sections. No grubs, but often lots of small ants, some with wings. They donÂt look like fire ants though. I find it strange the length of the dead withered grass in clumps.

{{gwi:116318}}

Here are helpful background details on my lawn.

Grass: Kentucky Bluegrass, Ryegrass, Fescue

Recent events: In early August my wife cut the lawn on 2 on our riding mower. It didnÂt scalp the grass, but the extreme heat and lack of rain definitely stressed the grass. Almost the entire yard went yellow while all the neighbors were fairly green, even ones without sprinkling systems. I did apply a little summer fertilizer after that and most of the yard sprung back within a week or so. I did notice the driveway areas did have some blades with dollar spot, but that went away with the fertilizer.

Watering: I water each area of the yard 2-3 times a week with a self-propelled water tractor or stationary sprinkler. Mid to late Summer has been extremely dry.

Lawn history: The lawn is 7 years old on mostly sandy soil. We probably didn't have enough fill dirt brought in. I have overseeded several areas in the past. I normally mow on 3 on my riding mower and keep my blades sharp. I do have an explosion of weeds right now which is not unusual for late Summer, but that is a separate issue. My guess is that is because I just can't get enough water on it without a sprinkling system and so the grass dies and weeds take over.

1. What are my grass issues here?

2. Should I rely on insecticide, fungicide, or both? Any recommendations for items I can get from Lowe's?

3. Will I need to reseed both areas and if so should I wait till Spring?

4. If I do need to reseed is anything from Lowe's decent enough. I have bought more expensive seed in the past, but have been unemployed for a while so can't afford to sink $$$ into this.

Thanks so much! I've worked so hard on this lawn and hate to see it fall apart.

Comments (6)