SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philes21

A Gentle Reminder - Stay OFF the Seedlings!

philes21
16 years ago

An inspection of my seedlings, coming along nicely, yielded a curious insepction result. I thought I would pass this reminder along to all of you adventurers who, along with me, have put in a new seedbed these past few weeks.

Some, but only some, of those seeds germinated as predicted. Some came in early, some came in right on time. What about the others? The ones that didn't come in yet?

Here's the news flash: they're going to come in. Soon. Perhaps they're coming in right now. They are very viable seeds, that have been kept moist for weeks (nice work, fellows!) and perhaps starter fertilized, in one form or another. Those seeds are going to sprout, and grow, and become an integral part of your lawn, if you let them.

Here's a sketch, to try to illustrate the point:

{{gwi:115942}}

I have, and so do YOU have, many seedlings that are now two or three times the size of a dime. We (you and I) also have almost as many seedlings that are just now budding out. They are just barely above the soil, and nowhere near as tall as their neighbors. They need three weeks from now, they need that undisturbed time to grow, just as the tall ones needed three weeks from when they (the tall ones) budded out.

I know you want to get out there, and 'do what needs to be done'. Don't. Put off that first mowing as long as you can. Put off tramping on that lawn, as much as you can.

"I put in a mix of Bedazzled, and Midnight, and Eclipse."

"Great. How did it come out?"

"I got out there and mowed, baby, as soon as the Bedazzled was tall enough to mow."

"Um, what happened to the Midnight, and what happened to the Eclipse, as they take a little longer to germinate, don't they?"

"I dunno. I haven't seen any of those. Dunno why."

Now obviously, I made that part up. But I could imagine it happening. Some cultivars may germinate sooner than others, and those cultivars have a 'head start' on the rest. Some of the grass seed, no matter what cultivar, will pop up sooner than the others. Don't sacrifice the late bloomers. When the tallest of the new sprouts look tall enough to mow, DON'T MOW.

Inspect the seedbed. You likely have a few orphans still stuggling, but those orphans will come along if you allow them to come along.

We've all read that KBG is 'slow to germinate', and 'slow to establish'. "Establish" is what we're dealing with here.

I know we've all been more or less patient, but let's be a little more patient.

Comments (32)