SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun_n_surf_chaser

Girlie while being Tomboy-ie

sun_n_surf_chaser
16 years ago

Even though I'm going on 20 years now being in the construction trade, I'm still finding adjustments I need to make since I work 99% of the time with all men.

I did my stint in white collar and I still can say with certainty, from my personal experience, these men are more polite and gentle towards me than the white collar men I worked with.

I never approached my work as a competition or the need to prove my skill because of my gender. I've learned my physical limitations (although, I can't seem to learn not to push them) and am fully aware of the different muscular systems in men vs. women. Most men are a foot taller than me. Most importantly, men have 50% more upper body muscular mass than women. Period. Underlined. (this is why they tell you to kick, instead of punch if you're ever attacked.)Since I don't move heavy objects or paint with my legs,lol, I have no problem asking for their help. They are always politely helpful. Heck, Jimmy is the one I have trouble with. "Hey, di, hand me that piano, will ya?"

I have "girlie" tricks of the trade. I only buy pink lighters. If the guys borrow my lighter, they put it back exactly where they found it with two fingers and pinky extended as if it has cooties. They won't EVEN touch my screwdriver or hammer that has flowers on it. I load the cooler or frig with Fruit-2-O or diet gingerale. They don't touch it,lol.

I have a 5 year old, out dated, Warner, 4ft ladder that I guard with my life. They don't make this ladder anymore and all the new ones are about 7 pounds heavier. You're darn tootin' that moving a lighter ladder all day long makes a difference in my day! (I'm thinking about getting flowered decals for it.)Or should I paint it all pink? Open to suggestions.

I finally, finally listened to Suzanne after all these years of her telling me to wear a pink jumpsuit. I still won't wear THAT,lol but I did find these multi-flowered boxer shorts at Walmart that are perfect for work as they are lightweight and comfy. see link, lol.

Last Wednesday it was a scorcher but I was in AC feeling sorry for the guys as they occasionally crawled in from the heat to get a Coke. (silly men drinking Coke!)

Unfortunately, the next day the AC was broken and it topped out to be close to 98 inside.

That morning as I was getting dressed in my nifty girlie shorts, I first chose a black tank top but changed my mind because it was grabbing me too much under my arms.So I threw on one of my white T-shirts.

In 98 degrees, working physically, I perspire just as much as the guys. In fact, I better not stop perspiring in those conditions. My shirt was just as drenched as their's were.

My gender difference became glaring after noticing that they were forcibly making only direct eye contact while speaking to me, I finally came up with a solution. When we were all in the same proximity, I spoke to them all.

"Listen guys, I'm really sorry. If I knew this was going to be 'Wet T-Shirt Day', I would of never worn a black lace bra."

There was a lot of relief in their eyes as we all busted out laughing.

~di

Here is a link that might be useful: girlie work shorts

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions