SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jselwa

Fungus? Grubs?

jselwa
16 years ago

First, I want to extend a huge thank you to all the people who dedicate time to this forum and post such helpful information for lawn renovation. I've learned a ton from here and IMHO, is the best resource online for lawncare.

We built a new house in 8/05. Long story short, we had some drainage probs and had to have half the yard regraded, and on top of getting screwed by the landscaper the first year, I overtook the yard maintenance myself.

Last fall (2006), I spent a week yanking all the crabgrass by hand and doing a major overhaul on what was left of the wonderful annual rye mix the landscaper threw down. I used a TTTF/Perennial Rye mix and got a pretty decent stance of new grass that carried over winter to this spring. Tossed down three apps of soybean last fall, and a late shot of urea, and then this spring, dumped CGM. No other fertilizer all summer. Weekly mowing at 3-4" and regular watering in between rainfalls. We have beach sand soil, so moisture comes and goes fast. Late June, I had patches starting to lighten, turn yellow, and die. My entire side yard is now dead, and half the front yard is gone (it was 6" high by the first week of April when my neighbor hadn't even mowed his yet!). I'm only having this trouble in the sun and hilly parts of my yard. My shade areas are gorgeous, no yellowing, no crabgrass, just thin in areas for a first year lawn, which I expected. I'm unsure if we have grubs or fungus. I have gone through the last few days and yanked most of the crabgrass in the worse damage areas, and I just overseeded tonight with a straight KBG blend to fill in the TTTF and PR dead holes, so I have a rhizone spreading grass since my bunch grass is half-gone. Prior prep work included scalping, raking up as much as possible with Lawn Sweeper, and going over yard with dethatch rake to stir up soil. Seed went down late tonight, going to be rolled in the morning.

When I was pulling the crabgrass out, I did notice a few white grubs, and some adult Jap Beetles crawling around, but no major infestations (random spots over a 3500 SF area) other than on my roses back in July. We have had a mole and groundhog frequenting the yard all summer (we live in the middle of the woods). Before I overseeded tonight, I spread 250 pounds of soybean that got watered in well with a 3/4" rain last week Wednesday, because I wanted it to start breaking down before the seed went down. Can I treat for fungus with new seed? If so, should I use nematodes or corn meal, and if corn meal, should I apply now with the new seed or wait until after the first mowing (which won't be until first part of October, and about four weeks after the soybean app)? If there is a fungus problem, I don't want it to hit the new grass coming up. Yanking crabgrass is too much work to ruin all the effort. With having such a sandy soil, and with a combination of morning dew, how often should I moisten the new seed, and how much? Should I set up my Rain Train and let it go, or squirt what I can by hand with hose and sprayer? There is about 50% grass in the front yard, and probably 20% in my side yard, but there is enough dead grass down to act as a sort of mulch to retain moisture. Here in Central MI time is limited for getting this new stuff to grow and I want to make sure I'm doing what I can to make sure it comes up (I know, it should have been down two weeks ago, but with two young kids, and a full time in-home business, it didn't happen the way I wanted it to). I'd be happy to post images if anyone wishes to see.

I also have a decent stance of nutsedge mixed in with what's left of my regular grass - will new KBG seed choke it out if it comes in thick enough? What will I need to do next spring to prevent fungus/grubs/etc.? Sorry for the novel - it's late and I'm going to go crash! I appreciate any assistance or advice. Thanks so much. Jenifer.

Comments (6)