SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob123how

Phal spike cutting confusion

bob123how
17 years ago

I just got a phal Summer Beach from HEB for $9.99 because most of the blooms were gone. Its way bigger then the other phals I've encountered with 4 massive dark dark green almost purple leaves, which I guess is poor lighting.

The spike is long with 2 side branches. It looks like the classic 3-pronged "fork in the road" in cartoons. There is one unopened bud on each of the three ends, and at the very tip of the all three "prongs" it looks like it's trying to squeeze another bud out. I've looked very closely, and I can find no scar from a previous spike cut, so I assume it hasn't been cut.

1. Should I just cut the entire spike at the bottom and give the plant a rest and start over

2. Can I just cut the spent blooms and leave an almost naked spike? Or do absolutely nothing?

3. Is there any reason aside from aesthetics to stake spikes? I have a Brassia and this Phal that are staked, and I think they'd look way cooler with the spike arching over the pot as opposed to straight up.

I've read the FAQ, but I'm still confused as to where I would, if necessary, cut it. Would it be at the node just below the lowest branch, removing all three, or do I cut each branch at a node individually?

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (6)