SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baronessblixen

Should I cut the spike on my phals?

baronessblixen
16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm an orchid newbie with a phal. question. I have a small plant I rescued last year from a local grocery store - it was in terrible shape with cracked leaves, a lifeless spike, and was completely parched. I brought it home, tried to benevolently neglect it over the year (I can get a bit overzealous with my plants...), and, lo and behold, it bloomed throughout March and April. Now that the blooms are spent, should I trim the spike down or leave it be?

I have another healthy phal. in the same south-facing window that's growing vigorously but shows no interest in flowering. On that particularly plant I followed advice I'd been given about cutting the spike back after flowering - was this a mistake?

Finally, I have a THIRD phal. in full bloom that appears to be putting up a new spike. The tip, however, appears to have either been cut or otherwise blunted in the nursery...there's no bud tip at the end and it has clearly been broken or cut at some point. Does that mean I should not obsessively stare at the stalk over the coming months and wait for flowers?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)