SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grasswhisperer

Moths - Big Time!

grasswhisperer
15 years ago

In eastern Mass - I applied Scotts Step 3 (feed + insect, which is bifenthrin 0.086%) about 8 days ago, before going on vacation.

Needless to say the lawn has grown like gangbusters with the rain and cooler temps we've had - but just mowing the lawn this evening for the first time since fertilizing, and I have a TON of little white moths - they fly for only a few feet, if that, as they feel me coming.

I've had these before over the years, but never this many.

Is this sod web worm? If so - is it possible/common for lawns to have sod web worms but NOT be a problem? I know that almost all lawns have grubs, but it doesn't mean it's always at damaging levels. I'm wondering if the same applies to sod web worms. OR - with those - if you have them at all - you've got trouble?

Second question on this is: if I applied Scott's Step 3 - should I just assume that this will kick in and treat the moths/eggs/new larvae that they are dropping as they fly? I haven't used Scott's 4-step program in a few years, but I have in the past and it seemed pretty fool-proof, if you follow the instructions. I know there are a few on this forum that may sneer at the notion of using Scott's 4-step, but for now I'm just trying to figure out what's going on with my moths! :)

Any general quick lesson on what these moths are all about is greatly appreciated. I can supply more info if needed...

Thanks!

Comments (3)