SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angeleyedcat

Orchids vs Japanese Beetles

angeleyedcat
14 years ago

Hello :) We have a huge infestation of Japanese beetles in our area. I hand pick them every day since it seems to be the best thing so far, some years are worse than others.

I've just started collecting orchids and would like to try putting a few outside this summer (cattleya, brassocattleya, oncidium and dendrobium) Has anyone had any problems with japanese beetles eating orchids? I have limited outdoor space for plants (serious deer protection needed here but the good part is the area I have is facing east to southeast and I can control the amount of sun) The orchids will be suspended on the deck but unfortunately there are many rose bushes in front of the deck which the beetles love. I've read suggestions for covering the roses with cheese cloth to prevent them from being damaged by the beetles. would the cheesecloth work with orchids too? Any other ideas appreciated. or, is it simpler just to wait until after the worst of the beetles are through and put the orchids out later in the summer? Thanks :)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor