SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lrobins_gw

Obtaining Tiphia vernalis for biocontrol of Japanese Beetle?

lrobins
19 years ago

Has anyone here had experience with use of Tiphia vernalis, the spring Tiphia wasp, for biocontrol of Japanese beetles? Or has anyone heard of a source that sells them to home gardeners? The wasp hunts for and parasitizes (lays its eggs in) Japanese beetle grubs in the springtime (as its name implies). We had a large outbreak of Japanese beetles in our area this year, perhaps because of the weather. So there should be a lot of grubs next spring.

I live in a townhouse with a small yard at the edge of a park with extensive turf grass (used for athletic playing fields). I doubt that milky spore or nematodes would be useful in my location, because these biocontrols don't spread on their own, and it would be impractical to treat a large enough area to be effective. The Tiphia wasp, on the other hand, will spread if it is placed in a favorable environment.

Note that the link below does indicate a potential supplier, but I wrote to the address indicated one year ago (Richard McDonald, the_edge@goboone.net) and got no response, so I assume that supplier is no longer active.

Here is a link that might be useful: Control of Japanese Beetle with Parasites

Comments (15)