SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
almcclur

need to put in grass next week--what kind?

I'm sure this has been asked 437 times before, but my searches have not been helpful so far. Maybe someone can help...

We just moved in to a home that has a completely dead back yard. Not even weeds--just dirt, due to the lack of water here for the past several months. (N. Cal.)

While I know it's not an ideal time to plant, my kids need to play outside, and I NEED them to play outside for my sanity, and the dirt pit is not very inviting.

So. We're putting in sprinklers this weekend, and would very much like to put in the grass the weekend after. Everyone here is talking about a fescue mix, but they are also watering twice a day for 3-4 minutes a pop, so I'm not sure about their authority on the matter.

I would really like something that would be low maintenance and indestructible, and also look good.

The soil is heavy clay, impossible to work without heavy machinery, and rock hard right now. We are planning to till it with maybe a 50/50 mix of soil and compost, or maybe skip the soil and make it 100% compost? Any advice would be MUCH appreciated, and particularly focusing on the best type of grass to put in. We are still up in the air as to hydromulch vs sod as well.

Sorry for being so long-winded there!

Amanda

Comments (5)