SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billy_jay_gw

Dead grass in spots

billy_jay
12 years ago

Hello all,

Im a beginning level gardener/lawner? Im in Denver and i have a small lawn of kentucky bluegrass. I have gotten some pretty heinous looking dead spots in my lawn. The neighbors said they have had similar spots diagnosed as sod webworms and or grubs. I would think most likely that is what i have but i just want to make sure, as i have not had a professional examine my lawn. Im also considering the problem to be competition with some trees in the same areas, and fungus of some kind.

Here are 6 pictures to illustrate:

The first 3 are the front lawn but only in the street side section (no spots have been found in the house side section). This is the second time they have browned up and grown back. I thought maybe i let them get too dry. They were being water 3 times weekly for 25 minutes at night but i just change it to the morning because i read fungus thrives when you water at night. I have also applied a granuler bug killer within the last couple of days for sod webworms and grubs. The last three are the back yard this is new grass planted in march. Both yards have been fertilized in the past. There is a pretty big silver maple in the back (maybe 5-6 years old). We got nearly 2 weeks of raining every day so i turned off the sprinkler system and i dont think i turned it on soon enough after we dried out, thats what i think supports my "competition" theory.

My bug theory is from the neighbors...i have not seen any of these bugs.

And the fungus theory is my wild card...

I have no idea what is actually going on...any help wold be greatly appreciated.

Bill

And why has the entire ask the lawn doctor forum been locked?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/yarddoctor/#post

Because this sounds exactly whats happened to my lawn but the forum is locked and they never got an answer:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/yarddoctor/msg0612555211833.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Album of pics

Comments (6)