SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grass_man

Watering restriction for new lawn

grass_man
16 years ago

I've been following this forum for the past couple months and thought I was prepared to seed a new elite KBG front lawn. RU was applied last week, old grass is hurting, seed is with UPS on it's way to my house, and Custom irrigation system is 75% installed underground.

Stop the press!

Our development's water changover from community well to city water is 4 months behind schedule. They've been done at my house for nearly 2 months now. I just got off the phone with a member of our homeowner association and was told our watering ban is in effect untill ALL houses are connected and THEN city water will change over. He thought that would be Oct 1st.

We are allowed to water by hand - No automatic sprinklers are allowed. What should I do? Push back the seeding as late as possible? Can I keep 2500 sq ft of lawn wet with a hose end sprinkler. My plan was to seed on the 15th of this month, but I think that would not be wise.

By the way, I do have a very active association which is not shy of litigation or temporary water shut offs for non compliance. UGH. I could take my chances with some early AM watering set with a timer.

Let me know what you think my best course of action is. I am located in NW Pennsylvania. I'm about 1/4 mile from Lake Erie. In the Fall, the water usually keeps me about 10 deg warmer overnight compared to 10 miles inland. Thus, we usually don't get a hard frost early.

Thanks

Comments (10)