SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
montysc

First Time Lawn Owner - Sprinkler Help with Dry Lawn Areas

I have a new house with a new lawn - this is a dwarf enduro fescue lawn in the Central Coast area of California - cool foggy climate most of the time - no rain from May-Oct.

The lawn was installed as sod - soil is clay, slightly sloping (less than 3%)

The lawn was doing fine when over watered (surprise) I have since tried to lower the water use down to a reasonable amount - we have drought restrictions here. I am now getting some bad browning zones. I am watering 26 minutes, split into 2x13 minutes 1 hr apart, every 4 days based on measuring the output at the center area. The center of the grass is growing really fast and the bottom area where the centered sprinkler head is is also very robust...since it gets hit by both the right and left sprinkler. I would like to figure out which arc to adjust.

It also seems like the sprinkler heads are mostly watering where the end of the arc hits (not in between), so I end up with really good coverage at the ends of the sprinkler arc and little between.

There is some shade that also covers the bottom area that is more lush - this shade is only in the morning - plus it is usually foggy in the mornings here.

I have enclosed a quick drawing to show the very rough layout of our lawn with the dry zones and sprinkler layout. Our heads are a Hunter PGJ model...The lawn is aprox 45ft x 20ft.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths