SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Well. I suppose that changes the menu somewhat---

gandle
15 years ago

Always plant 4 cauliflower every year but almost never get to harvest any, it always gets too hot too soon and they just won't head properly. Its been a quite cool spring and I was pleased to see small heads forming several weeks ago so I tied up the outer leaves to blanch the heads. Checked on them a few minutes ago and 3 were forming nicely and about 5" across but the one one the end was almost 10" across and so I guess we will be eating fresh cauliflower this evening.

Reflecting yesterday on how many in my generation were so lucky. Our generation was called the "The Greatest Generation" but I consider myself to be one of the luckiest.

Many if not most of us served in W.W.2 without firing a shot. Some of us were in line to wade ashore on the invasion of Japan when Harry Truman's decision to drop the atom bomb saved us. How lucky is that?

That meant we had the G.I bill, which meant we could go to college anywhere with no concern about out-of-state tuition and without going deeply into debt. Our kids and grandkids would think themselves very lucky if they could say that.

We grew up in the great depression but that hurt our elders worse than it did us. They had begun their careers and businesses and made plans in the roaring 20's and then hit the brick wall of the depressed thirtys.

We didn't know nearly as much about sex as teenagers today which you might consider good or maybe bad luck but at least some of it remained a mystery and wasn't beamed at us constantly from television and movies. We were lucky to have lived in a time when there were more ups than downs in the economy.

Lucky us, gas was cheap, air travel was fun, doctors still made house calls, neighbors were neighborly.

That all saying, there were those that didn't make it through the era and 5 of my classmates from high school didn't make it home from the war. But deep in my heart I shall always feel that I'm one of the luckiest generation with my wife and best friend of 60 years and great kids and grandkids and 5 great grandkids.

Well I've done it again, what started out as a menu change ended ended up as a long winded rather strange what?-- a sermon, perhaps a diatribe, no that doesn't fit anyway a lot of words to say little.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions