SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Journal 8 June 2007

rob333 (zone 7b)
16 years ago

..."'Ought they to smoke like that?' asked Beth from her perch on the bed. 'It's the dampness drying,' replied Jo. 'What a queer smell! It's like burned feathers,' observed Amy, smoothing her own pretty curls with a superior air. 'There, now I'll take off the papers and you'll see a cloud of little ringlets,' said Jo, putting down the tongs. She did take off the papers, but no cloud of ringlets appeared, for the hair came with the papers, and the horrified hairdresser laid a row of little scorched bundles on the bureau before her victim."...

-Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

Tonight is the Summer Soiree and just like antebellum times, the air is aflutter with giddy thoughts of ringlet curls and "silvery drab simple [suits], with a blue velvet snood" (although, I secretly dred I'll be horrifed as Meg tonight, with some unexpected setback. I hope I handle it as well as she). Ed is as just as excited as I, bought a new shirt, got his shorts drycleaned?! We had a great time last night sitting around a table, chatting about this and that, while LF busied himself doodling. It was very relaxing and a great prelude to tonight. We just got off the phone with each other and he's trying to milk this evening for all it's worth, sneaking out early and going someplace extra along the route. Me too. tee hee.

It's excruiatingly hot here and summer has found a home already. LF and I will go swimming tomorrow. He's fully learned how to swim without me watching at all, but I still keep a watchful eye. Oh that makes me think of D. As we stood in line last Saturday, awaiting entry to the park, I looked over and saw the two most beautiful cherubic children playing on a deck and thought, "Wonder where their mother (not their parents) is?". LF burst out, D! and ran to him and I burst out into tears. It was his classmate whose mother died this year completely unexpected. He was as close to his mother as LF is to me. He's been heartbroken all year, and LF has been heartbroken not to be able to fix it for him. LF and D played together all day last Saturday. LF even inspired D to swim without a crutch, opting to take off his lifejacket to be like LF. It was heartening to see and I think D's father thought so too. At least he looked glad to see them play. Mommy and LF are going to the movie tonight and it's a long way for them. It hasn't always been such a good thing for her to be around him alone, because he acts out horribly when there is a transition, but now it's ok. He's learned that being without mom can still be fun and she still loves you when you get together again. I am pleased she's looking forward to being with him. It's all I've ever wanted.

Tonight and this weekend at the pool are going to be fun fun fun!!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions