SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Journal 19 March 2007

rob333 (zone 7b)
17 years ago

It was to be a "housewife" day yesterday. One of those days where I am actually on vacation, but pretend to be a housewife, taking care of the errands during hours no one else in the house can. I planned to get my new driver's license, cash two checks, get a new hose for my windshield washer fluid and buy the catfood from the vet. I really wanted to cut my hair before I got my new license as my last picture has been on the card for 8 years now (I was six months pregnant with LF in it! talk about a puffy face) and I just couldn't stomach my new one sporting my currently ragged tresses for 8 more years. Awakening, I got up, scooped LF out of his bed and brought him into the master bedroom to snuggle like we used to do so long ago, watching a couple of heartening animated educational shows. He ate it up, a smile that nothing could wipe from his face. Then he ate while I chopped 3 inches off my mane (the equivalent of 1/4 inch for a man), showered, dressed, makeup and off we went. I figured there would be line at the DMV, but nothing compared to what I was greeted with. I'd wrongly assumed that if I got there 9:30-10ish that it'd be calmer as the before work crowd would be gone and the left for lunch early crowd wouldn't be there yet, usually works. And with Nashville, it's not that big, a somewhat safe assumption. Nothing could have wronger, is that a word?!!! Maybe because it was Monday, or who knows what, but there must've been 150 people in a room, kid you not, meant for about 50. Earlier in the month, my brother-in-law called to tell me there was a new one hardly anyone knew about one county over. I hightailed it out of there and headed for Franklin (one of the civilwar battlefields if it sounds familiar). It's there and brandspanking new, but it was closed on Mondays. I was still ok by this time, but beginning to get frazzled with all the driving. No matter, I'd go on to task number two, cash the checks.

I've actually been with the same "bank" for 22 years now. They merged with another just recently and somehow we ended up being sold to a bank which is two counties away from here. There's only one bank in Nashville and it's downtown. So I decided instead to go to my 22 year bank and the bank the checks were drawn on. They wanted to fingerprint me as I "didn't have an account with them". I was LIVID. Treat me like a chyster, when they were the one who shystered me out of my home. Nope. On to task 3 and 4 which went off without a hitch. I'd decided I'd had enough of errands and it was time to actually vacation.

LF and I went to lunch and I let him have dessert, which he ate in the car all the way back to the house. At some point he said, "Apple pies and you, life just couldn't be any better". That cheered me up even if I ranked after apple pie. On the way home I'd decided to go to the park, but it was so windy, halfway there it made sense to detour to get the kites for the park. LF has learned to fly it on his own, and flew higher and longer than anyone else's. He was ecstatic right up to bedtime on that one. Then we got a new badmitton set and I set it up half court to show him how to play. By the end of the couple of hours (my legs are still showing that one!), he could return a volley pretty well. When I'd had enough and we went inside, I said "what do you want to do, you can do anything in the whole world", he said "have a two person party!". Upon asking what a two person party was, he didn't really know what it was specifically, I suggested there be snacks and movies. He liked that. When I asked him what else you do at a two-person party he said tell jokes. I told him I didn't know any, could he tell one. He said what do you get when you cross an auto and a dinosaur? Dunno. Car-rex! Kids, you gotta love 'em.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions