SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun_n_surf_chaser

Where to stash, where to store?

sun_n_surf_chaser
16 years ago

I know I said in my gardening update thread the other day how I'm doing my best trying to ignore Jimmy's car thing. Any interest at this point in our lives is a good thing,right?

For whatever reason, I'm pretty good at organizing stuff. After all, I seemed to be the "where is ?" guru in this house so I try to know where stuff is. Sure, I get summoned before the seeker even bothers to search, but hey, pick your battles,eh?

Jimmy isn't here today. He's picking up the "money pit 67" Stang so I thought it would be a good time to get a handle on his reading material. It's EVERYWHERE. May I remind you that we went from a 4000 sq.ft. home to a 1000 sq.ft. home. A lot of condos are larger.

Anyway, I sorted away.

-He has 13 motorcycle mags. (He is SO dreaming since he's already had 2 bikes. he's cut off).

-He has 23 truck mags. (Do I ever see him working on his truck? No.)

-He has 35 Mustang mags. 14 How to Mustang books and, this is what really scares me,61 car part catalogs.

-Thrown in there are 20 misc. mags.

I have 168 magazines and books sitting on my living room floor looking around, wondering where the heck to put them.Just to drive me more crazy, I measured the stack. 3 feet, 4 inches. It's taller than a toddler!

Hmmm, I would classify this as an obsession. To be fair, may I ask how tall your gardening reading material is? And if it is as bad as what is sitting in my living room right now, do mention whether you have a place to put your stack.

Sigh.

Actually, I'm not as frustrated as I sound with him. I feel sorry for Jimmy today. Last night, he drove 3 hours with his seatbelt on, popped into a store to get a coffee and didn't re-buckle. A very green, very young cop pulled him over for that offense. He did try to get a break explaining that he wears his seatbelt but hadn't put it back on yet. The cop went back to his cruiser for 15 minutes. When he came back, he asked Jimmy to get out of his truck, then he patted him down and threw handcuffs on him. The roughly 20 year old cop who was shaking like a leaf and hand on pistol, informed Jimmy he had a warrant for him from New Mexico. Jimmy said, "I've never even been to !@@#$$ New Mexico!!!" Then he left Jimmy handcuffed on the side of the highway for 10 minutes. My Jimmy is as sweet as they come but he seems to have this strong presence as well that I've notice that make some men apprehensive. Or shall I say, they seem to know push can be moved to shove if justified. Needless to say, during that 10 minutes, Jimmy was fantasizing on how many ways to plummet this cop's head.

Of course the cop came back and told him he fit the description. Pfft! This is how innocent people get killed, in my opinion.

What a stupid thing to do to a man who is still suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome. Poor Jimmy still has flash backs, hyper-vigilant as he worries over me and checks all the time to see if I'm still breathing while I sleep. He is one laid back cat but don't push him the edge right now.

The cop never apologized and gave him the seatbelt ticket.

I guess the reason for me telling you what happened to him last night is, I don't care if he has a 10 foot stack of reading material.

I'm still stashing the 61 car parts catalogs behind a living room chair though.

~di

Comments (21)

• Josh
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Di, it sounds to me like you and Jimmy are looking after one another and that's the main thing. The cop thing is aggravating...but it's over. The "new"car will take it's place in his thoughts today.

As to magazine/catalog storage. Those cheap plastic "milk crates" are just the right size, easy to carry, magazines can be stood upright so easy to flip thru, and can be put on floor of closet (or behind chair). They hold a ton of magazines! I won't go into how I know this...lol

josh

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

Gosh Di, for a minute I thought he'd been caught for
    that little incident on the boardwalk. :0)
    Hon, be thankful it isn't car parts you're having to stash behind the chairs.

My grandson is into old Datsun Z cars. We had one of those
    sitting in our yard for months while he removed a piece here and there.
    Never ever would I have thought that I
    would have a junk car in my yard. It was my grandson, what
    can I say.

Jimmy's a good guy, give him a hug for me and tell him
    i'll come up there and rip the guy's nose off his face if
    he wants me to.:0)

• Related Discussions

Pedestal sink vs. vanity cab - ladies, where do you store...

Q

Comments (10)
    OMG, I can't believe they make a special recessed cabinet for plungers! Anyway, something like that would actually work really well. I'm not sure how much recessed storage I'll be able to have, though, because I have no idea what's in my walls. As you can see, the current medicine cabinet over the sink and that hamper are recessed, but that's partially because the lower half of the walls are built out with cement, and that's being torn out in the remodel. Perhaps that Hy-dit would fit in the old hamper space... Gscience, I agree with you that non-recessed cabs can make the place look smaller. I'd like to recess a cab in the spot where the blond wood cab is not - if I can't, I may just put a mirror there. I'm also planning a much larger medicine cabinet over the sink - don't know if I'll be able to recess it, so I guess I'll wait to buy anything until my contractor starts tearing things up... Anyway, thanks for the ideas, ladies - keep 'em coming!!!!!
    ...See More

Storing stash in attic?

Q

Comments (17)
    Some of my fabric is in plastic totes - more than half of it. Some of the totes are pretty full, and the lid doesn't fully snap down. Some of my totes are opened so often that mold, etc. wouldn't have a chance. I've heard somewhere that a good idea is to poke a tiny airhole in a plastic tote lid, maybe with a nail, etc. to allow some air in. I haven't done that, but haven't had a problem, but my fabric and sewing room is in a spare bedroom, pretty much climate-controlled. If they were in long-term storage, then I'd worry, I guess. Just not a good idea to store them on wood. What about empty suitcases?
    ...See More

Where do you stash your stockpot(s)?

Q

Comments (20)
    I put all the large pots in the super susan in the corner. The large pressure canner is there on the bottom shelf along with the smaller pressure cooker and a couple of large stew/chili type pots. There is one more that belongs there, but I made chili last night, so it's in the refrigerator. The top shelf holds the wok, the crock pot, the blender (in two pieces), and several colanders. This would only work for stock pots if they were 12" tall or shorter.
    ...See More

Where do you store extra rolls of paper towel

Q

Comments (15)
    One roll on a counter holder by the sink, the rest in my downstairs pantry "under the stairs". I rarely use them, just DH does- in fact I was wanting to 'try out' the new paper holder's feature of being able to tear off a sheet with one hand, but I never seem to have a need of a paper towel! remodel, what do use to microwave bacon/greasy things (maybe you don't MW those?)- Can't thing of anything better than paper towels for those... :>)
    ...See More
  • Josh
    16 years ago

Meant to add that those crates stack too. We bought about 30 to use for moving across river....great for moving my potted plants, cookware, all sorts of things. Can be turned on the side and stacked in garage to hold garden stuff (or carparts) ...grin. josh

• pamven
    16 years ago

Today marks the 1st day of a much deserved lay off/vacation for DH. I might need a loooong vacation after this week is over. He started this morning off by trying to purge our closets....the man has no idea of what vintage means. Who in their right mind would give a lime green suade swing coat to the Goodwill???? Even if she never had it on her back one single time im SURE she will find just the right occassion to wear it in the very near future.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

~di,

Does this answer your question?

This is just gardening magazines.
    Stashed elsewhere are:
    Painting books/magazines;
    Sewing books/magazines;
    Pleasure/spiritual books/magazines;
    and, last, but not least,
    Scrapbooking books/magazines.

Hello.
    My name is Wanda.
    I have a MAJOR problem.

{{gwi:165157}}

{{gwi:165159}}

After looking at these pics, I also have a 'keeping things neat and orderly' problem.

Oh, well, when I can't find anything else to do, maybe they'll get straightened.

LOL.
    Yeh. Right.

• sun_n_surf_chaser
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Wanda! No one else has posted because they are still staring at your pics, speechless, LOL! If I'm ever blessed to come and visit you, do you issue wanda library cards?
    tee hee

Pam, Pam, Pam, Pam. (LIME GREEN?!?!)

Jan, I prayed really hard to make my smile look genuine when Jimmy got home with the MPM(aka: Money-Pit-Mustang). I thnk I pulled it off but if I have to do it again, I'm sure I'll look like a smiling deer in the headlights.
    ~di

• shadowgarden
    16 years ago

Dear Di,

Can I borrow you for about two months. It is finally happening. After ten years of various foulup and holdups we are finally getting ready to build our retirement home. New home will be 1600sq ft old home is 2400 sq ft. Old home is overflowing with useless junk. I have explained repeatedly to my husband that some of this stuff HAS GOT TO GO!! It is no problem he airily replies. He will get a little shed to put out back. I swear he could build a twenty unit rent a storage and fill it all up himself! When he is out I furiously sort and put things in the trash and he comes home and pulls them out. Just another kind of game one on a side. I win extra points if he leaves early on the day the trash men come because then I can throw things away and he cannot retrieve them. Magazines you say, at one time we had subscriptions to 17. DH has promised not to renew, but many of them I am forbidden to discard. We have for example Chess magazines for every month going back to the 1940's (never looked at of course but we must keep them.) SIGH!!

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Guys, guys, guys! As someone who has gone over the past 10 years from a 4000 sf house with another 1000 sf in the basement to a 2100 sf house without a basement, I can tell you that you need to purge yourself of all that stuff. Otherwise one day we'll see you on the news in one of those sotries where the authorities go into a house an no one can walk through all the junk stacked up everywhere.

Honestly, is anyone ever really going to look at all those magazines & catalogs ever again? I think not. Forget the plastic storage bins. Get yourselves to the recycling center & get rid of them You'll feel a lot better afterwards.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

~di,

I hold my head in shame...

Yes, I do let friends borrow books.
    I even put a little label inside the cover that the book came from my library. LOL

On my list, I completely forgot about cookbooks/magazines.
    Boy, that's another whole can of worms.

• sun_n_surf_chaser
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tee hee, Andie, easier said than done! Everytime I did whites for years I would ask Jimmy to take his socks off right side out so I wouldn't have to turn them out before throwing them in the washer. It took me TEN years to figure out that I was the crazy one for asking twice a week,lol.

Jan, I forgot to add that jimmy won't let me go up in the attic. It's full of car parts. Yesterday, to make room in our shed, I moved several closet doors and stacked them neatly behind the bench on our screened in porch. What's piled on the bench? Car parts. Needless to say, we took the old closet doors off when we moved in a year ago. new ones still not installed. No wonder I have to be neat. Everyone who enters can see in all my closets. I'm naked in here for God's sake.

Poor Rebbecca. I think it was easier for me to get rid of stuff before our move because we had to move EVERYTHING to restore the house prior to sale. When you have to lug stuff around it cures the junk bug quickly. I had one simple rule which can be complicated only by our minds if we allow it. Do I want to pack and carry this?

Secretly Becca, I think DH wants you to play chess with him,lol.

Josh, I already had three baskets and a shelf under the coffee table to hold reading material in a 16x14 living room that also holds, 1 couch, one big puffy chair with ottoman, two small swivel chairs, 1 end table, 1 coffee table. Enough is enough. I do like to have a path, lol. Um, the naked closet in the living room doesn't have any room left!

And Pam, lol, I have a full length milk chocolate BROWN suede coat in my give away pile. I haven't worn it in two years........time to go rule.
    I'm telling ya gang, moving cured me!

This is too ironic. I'm off right now to help one of my new customers. She is a pack rat with a capital P and the carpet with be installed tomorrow. I'm going to help her move stuff. I use the term stuff, loosely, lol. Poor thing can't bring herself to throw anything away.
    ~di

• pamven
    16 years ago

I finally broke down and tossed out 4 nightshirts that wont even do as rags. Yes ive been wearing them!!! Ive been hanging on to a flannel one my mother made for me at least 5 yrs ago and it was a ratty looking thing to say the least. But i do have a good excuse. At 86 yrs i wasnt sure she would ever make me another and i just hated to toss that last one. I saw that she had cut out and 1/2 put together a new one when i was over there last week so i felt secure in tossing the old one.
    Perhaps i should list the lime green abomination on Ebay????

• mwoods
    16 years ago

Philly right now is in the midst of deciding whether to pass a law allowing a policeman to pull over and search anyone they want to if they think the person looks suspicious. How dumb is that? You can easily guess who will be pulled over. Your story made me feel badi ly for Jimmy...that sucks eggs and you know darn well it's going on all over the place.

Now..the magazine thing. Wanda...you are an addict and need some serious help. LOL I used to subscribe to many gardening magazines and couldn't bear to part with them. After several years,I realized that each magazine had a couple of really good articles or photos I wanted to save. So...a couple of days one winter,I went through all of them and ripped out what I wanted to keep and then threw the magazines away. It got easier with each one I tossed. I rarely ran across one in which I wanted every single article in there.

• Josh
    16 years ago

Almost every wall here has bookshelves, 6 or 7 feet then down to window sill level then rising again on other side. "Only takes up 12 to 14 inches of floor space" is my mantra! Holds not only books but baskets and boxes of everything from art and craft supplies, batteries, office supplies, plants...on and on. Very few magazines on shelves...like Marda, I save special articles and have a set of small drawer files to sort them into. Of course, right now I have a boxfull waiting to be filed...lol But I do refer back to them...honest.

Jim's drumset is in garage to make room in his bedroom for HO-guage (really tiny) model railroad setup. He wants to move about 40 little buildings, trestle and bridge onto our largest table so he can clean/rearrange track. Since in winter the table is filled with houseplants now outside until October...he'll have 5 months to get it done...wanna bet I'll have to start nagging in September? Trouble is he gets distracted and starts new proect..like correcting misspelling of my maiden name on a little storefront...lol With my poor eyesight I hadn't noticed.

Of course he would point out that he spent several hours drilling holes and painting pots for me...hanging trellis netting, etc. It's ebb and flow, high tide and low around here every day...we just try to stay afloat.

It's fun to read of other's travails re storage and projects...at our age we can't hope to change our ways but I'm not sure we'd want to. josh

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    16 years ago

My father and brother are magazine hoarders. Growing up in that house cured me of any desire to store a magazine more than a week after I'd read it.

My parents have been married 55 years. My mother said he arrived with a suitcase full of railway modelling magazines, when they married, and he never stopped. Nautical history, ship modelling, sailing, anything to do with railways. There are piles behind every door. My old bedroom is full to the doorway. My sister's old bedroom is lined all around the walls with stacks of magazines. Every flat surface is covered with them. The shed and the garage are full.

My mother grumbles and complains but never takes the initiative to do anything about it, feeling it would be unfair to force him. I stopped listening to the complaints years ago.

• Josh
    16 years ago

You know, I feel more comfortable visiting a home with evidence of someone's hobby or craft or interest. I suspect our home falls into the bohemian category...lol..but even the repairmen evince an interest in my plants, the EMT guys love Jim's train layout, the UPS guy likes my containers out front. The neigborhood kids come over when Jim plays drums. We're definitely not minimalists here...but we have fun. Even if I can't find my stash of black Japanese stones...lol josh

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

Wanda, Wanda, Wanda, what are we going to do with you?
    You need a visit from the Flamingo sisters.
    What critters did you have to evict to have room for all your magazines?
    You haven't taken over Mr. Man's race room have you?

• norar_il
    16 years ago

Jeeze, am I the only sneaky throw-away-er around here? Especially with magazines. Some old clothes just seem to disappear as well.

After helping to clean out my aunt's house after her death, finding boxes full of old papers, boxes full of old clothes, boxes full of books no one would ever be interested in, boxes full of old pickle jars, boxes full of notebooks, and boxes full of boxes, I decided I couldn't wish that on my children.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

YES!!!
    I can ALWAYS use a visit from the Flamingo Sisters!!

Actually, I don't subscribe to magazines at all.
    They just tend to jump in my buggy every time I go to the store...or anywhere else one isn't chained down.

Went to the Master Gardener Annual Picnic Saturday and three books found their way in my car.
    I kept telling them NO!! I have WAY TOO MANY to find room for you.
    But, when I pulled into the driveway at home I saw where they have snuck through a window and were laying on the back seat.

Marda,
    I do that too!!
    Just think how horrid it would be if I didn't.
    When I look through a book or magazine, I put one of those little colored postit to pages I am interested in.
    If there is only one article, I tear it out and put it in a folder.
    But, I don't throw the magazine away.
    It is put in a different stash for Christian, Sydney and Sarah.
    Christian ALWAYS needs pics for school projects.
    When he is finished, then Sydney and Sarah get to read them.
    By the time they are finished with the magazine, I have no choice but to put the shreds in the trash.

So, believe it or not, I do have a 'system' of sorts. LOL

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

Okay.
    Are you ready?

Drum roll please....

TTAAA DDAAA111

{{gwi:165161}}

{{gwi:165164}}

Now I won't be able to find a dad-gum thing.

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Good job Wanda! And I must say that this thread has inspired me to attack my office area (tis could be filed under practice what you preach). I've already hauled out one bag to the trash and I'm only done with 1/3 of the room.

• Pidge
    16 years ago

(Puffing out my chest) Ahem, I am RID of all that stuff, much to my husband's slight annoyance, but I just can't stand them lying around--believe me, we have plenty of other junk around. I throw out everything all the time and magazines are the first to go. If I don't read it when it comes in, out it goes when the next one arrives. I subscribe to exactly three: New Yorker, Yankee, and a beading magazine; and two newspapers, one only on Sunday. I have a SIL, however, who would not blink an eye at all those mags--she, too, had bookshelves EVERYWHERE and they are full to bursting. I've reduced my bookcases to three and gotten rid of literally boxes of books, generally to a foreign country where books are at a premium (through the university).
    (Patting myself on the back and dodging the books and mags aimed at my head.)

Di, my husband also had a run-in with an overzealous cop, one who has a reputation all over the county as a hard-a$$ jerk. After literally months of worry, the case was thrown out of court, but not until my husband had been driven nearly crazy over the whole thing. So I feel for Jimmy and the trauma he needlessly experienced. Give him an extra hug for all of us. And maybe a sunflower.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions