SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mindfulmama

Relentless Pests

mindfulmama
10 years ago

I am new to this forum but not necessarily new to gardening, this being approximately my 10th year. However, I still consider myself a beginner because I continue to try new things each year. We moved into our current home 3 years ago and have added 11 raised beds, 14 fruit trees, blueberries, chicken coop, and a perennial bed. I began each bed with compost, peat moss, soil and have amended regularly with compost each year.
The first two years went well with minimal problems. I only lost 2 blueberry bushes when we went away on vacation and the housesitter failed to water them. This year has been a completely different story. I have had nothing but problems since early spring. I continue to battle ants and aphids on my apple and pear trees, spinach and asparagus. I have used DE, ordered 4500 ladybugs that have since vanished, applied Neem oil, squished by hand, shot with water and the ant keep coming back. On top of that my squash, melon and cucumbers are infested with cucumber beetles. I have tried the same methods I used on ants/aphids for those but each morning I wake up to find more. My citrus trees were covered in scale but a day spend wiping them down with witch hazel and neem oil did the trick.
I sat in the garden last week and cried. I have so much time invested in this garden and much going elsewhere that I am about to rip up the squash plants and burn them and spray the trees. Please some advice.

Comments (15)