SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

What 'garden pests' cause less damage than you expected?

anney
14 years ago

I posted this on the "Growing Vegetables" forum but then realized that maybe with all the first-time gardeners there, not many people will have noticed any answers to the question posed yet. So I hope I'm not offending anyone by posting it here, too.

I just read that flea beetles may cause bean and other vegetable leaves to become "lacy" with holes, but some researchers have seen that they are not actually destructive to the plants or fruits as they get older, at least up to 20-25% damage, though very heavy infestations can be.

Maybe this is because there are common garden predators that decimate their numbers and render them ineffective as plant-destroyers. Or maybe very healthy plants can overcome the effects of shotholing by flea beetles.

So I'm wondering, in my quest to understand and live in harmony with the biological world that gardening brings to us, if you know of other reputed pests that may not be as damaging as we might fear?

I am willing to live with "pests in the garden" if they don't destroy it or the vegetables I'm trying to grow.

And what garden pests are just downright destructive that you know you must deal with one way or the other or risk losing a particular crop?

Comments (5)