SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thebluethumb

Anything I can do BEFORE planting to avoid pests?

thebluethumb
11 years ago

Hi All,

I am the newest of the newbies. After living in big cities all my life I moved to a town where I could actually have a large (large to me - about 100 s.f.) vegetable garden. I'm trying to do it organically and I've been perusing the forums and trying to get as much info as possible.

I'm at the point where I am going to rototill on Saturday then plant the cucumbers, tomatoes, tomatillos and marigolds that I started. I've gotten a late start to the season due to the weather in the Treasure Valley in Idaho and being so new to everything.

What I want to know (aside from literally EVERYTHING!) is if there is anything I can do to treat the soil organically BEFORE I plant in order to avoid pests.

I chose the part of my backyard that has the most sun during the day to place my garden, but there are trees around the edge of my yard that have been dropping leaves all this time. The leaves look diseased. They have holes in them and I know something is eating them. A few weeks ago I was out mowing the lawn and discovered flying ants infesting one of the trees. I also know it's more than just flying ants, and I believe the leaves are the carriers for other pests and problems. They've been landing on the starts as they sit outside and I'm worried about major pest problems down the road.

I don't have a raised garden. The soil was pretty good to begin with but very alkaline. I've added horse manure, chicken manure, mushroom compost and peat moss to it. I've seen videos about planting tomatoes with a paper ring around the stem to avoid some garden pests.

I've thought about getting some sort of netting to keep over the plants so that the leaves can't land on them.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks! Happy I found Garden Web!

Comments (26)