SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
watergal_gw

The future is so bright, I have to wear shades!

watergal
15 years ago

I finally got around to installing a fresh HID bulb. WOW! What an improvement! I was supposed to do it back in October, as part of a carefully orchestrated master plan involving repotting, lower night temperatures, brighter light, and various changes in fertilizing and watering, all designed to maximize blooming of the phals.

Yeah, well, real life has a way of intruding on my time with my VIP's (Very Important Plants). In the end, the plants survived (mostly), the teenager avoided a nervous breakdown, the mother-in-law is still cranky but settled into assisted living facility #2, and there is almost enough money to pay the college tuition bills. But I digress...

The new bulb is truly amazing. I'd had the old one in there for far too long, it finally burned out two weeks ago. I should have changed it years ago. I'm sure that wiping off the carcasses of the hordes of deceased whiteflies on the glass shield helped too (the whiteflies were left over from my tropical hibiscus days, which is why I originally bought the light).

So now I'm all excited about my orchids again. I went to a terrific orchid workshop last Saturday and joined my local orchid society (hey, the church choir will just have to survive without me one Thursday night each month), and I will finally get around to repotting as soon as I can get a free day with the husband out of the house (I'm so messy, I prefer not to let him see the chaos in the kitchen on Annual Repotting Day - 40 orchids and several different media make quite a mess!)

It appears that the thrips are gone too. Hooray!

Comments (4)