SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilybemily_gw

Organic Raised Beds for Veggie Growing

emilybemily
15 years ago

Hello All!

I'm really hoping someone here can help me with my dilemma. I am building a series of raised beds to grow food for my family. I want to grow organically. My problem is this: I don't know what to build them out of!!

White, untreated 2"x 12" wood: Since wood is my 1st choice, I love this option because it's beautiful and easy to work with. Problem is, the guys at the lumber store says I'll get 2 years out of it before it rots out!! And even if I got 7 years...still does not justify the cost.

Cedar & plastic type boards: I cannot afford these boards!

Treated lumber: I've read the MDS reports  and I find them a bit scary. But what if I were to line the inside of the raised bed with a heavy plastic so that the soil would not have contact with the treated wood? Would that be enough to keep the food crops safe?

Cinder Block: I love this option! I love that it will not rot  ever. My problem is that my yard is very bumpy and unlevelÂ.so I believe this option would require quite a bit of prep work (a small retaining wall to level an area) before I could lay out the blocks. Much more work but it would last the longest.

What do you think? What is the best material to use? Thanks so much for your time!! I'm not sure if it matters, but I live in Northern MN - so lots of freeze and thaw action here.

- Emily

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida