SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Plastic... Growing Organic Veggies in Plastic Pots

kristimama
16 years ago

Hey all,

I have a question that some of you might consider totally nuts and neurotic...LOL... but the recent "Plastic" post has me encouraged to ask something that's been bugging me for a while.

I want to put some pots of tomatoes and peppers on a sunny patio in my yard.

My question is about using plastic pots vs. terra cotta.

I have always preferred unglazed terra cotta for edibles, but I'm quickly going to go broke on terra cotta pots. LOL

I've always shied away from plastic on the grounds that it's a petroleum product, and I guess I'm afraid of what happens when that plastic breaks down after sun exposure (ours get all powdery and brittle). There's already numerous evidence that plastic bottles and other plastic things release dioxin. I'm not sure if that ends up on or in the plants grown in plastic.

I know I have to do what feels right to me, but I wonder if I'm being unreasonable avoiding plastic. When I go to the container forum nearly everyone across the country has their entire gardening set up using all manner of plastic pots (even old painters 5-gallon cans).

The cheaper glazed terra cotta also seem problematic, since many are from China and I know if there's lead in the glaze.

Anyhoo... do any of you grow in plastic pots? Or are you all planting in the ground only. (In my yard, I have both options but I probably won't get my raised beds into growing until next spring because I have small kids at home and I can't manage it right now.)

Thanks for humoring me. ;-)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio