SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

From some old letters.

gandle
16 years ago

Received another large envelope of letters etc. from my now 96 year old aunt telling me that she just found these letters that my uncle wrote years ago. Seems he made carbon copies of all his correspondence even causal, haven't had time to read through all of it but what I have is fascinating at least to me.

A short excerpt from a paragraph in a 3 page carbon copy of a letter to a cousin. Oh, this is dated 1967. And he was born in 1904.

"Your letter of June 18th and the enclosed exhibits were absolutely fascinating to me. I so much enjoyed my mother's card and the letter written by her before I was born. Also the letters from her father. It struck me that her handwriting looked exactly the same as it did in the later years of her life. The account of the collision with the cow reminded me of hearing that story from my parents, including paying the farmer $28 for the cow. The car they were driving was an EMF (Everett, Metzger, Flanders) which I just barely remember riding in. My father told me some people said EMF stood for "every morning fix 'em, but he considered it quite a capable car for that time. I do remember the clutch used to stick sometimes (it was a cone clutch faced with leather), so dad carried an old wagon spoke with which to pry the clutch free."

This letter goes on for 3 fully typewritten pages and I find each paragraph fascinating since I lived with his parents, my grandparents.

Perhaps when I look through all of these papers I can find something more that hopefully would be interesting to you.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals
More Discussions