SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazmynsmom

Old Letters (long)

jazmynsmom
14 years ago

I'm in the process of a major house de-clutter. I'm going through every room, and ruthlessly donating and throwing stuff away. But one of my biggest (and most wonderful) distractions are the caches of old letters I keep finding. They're pure gold.

One particularly chatty letter my mom sent to me nearly 20 years ago tickled my heart. At the time, she was exactly the age I am now, and I was a nearly 20 year old student in Paris. It's filled with family news, much of which we'd forgotten. Stuff like:

"K (my then 15-year-old and formerly angelic little sister) has definitely been undergoing a transformation. Under the guise of watching movies at the home of friends, she's been attending beer parties. You'd think that by #3 we'd be smarter, right? WRONG! Now because she failed to exercise good judgment, we have to make her decisions for her. There are times when I think it would have been easier to raise Schnauzers than kids!"

It goes on like that for a couple pages, outlining the trials and tribulations of all of my family members. She also tells me that my grandpa and (Irish) grandma put $50 on my credit card as an early birthday gift so I could spend it on my then-upcoming trip to Ireland to visit our family there.

I also discovered a stack of cards from my grandpa, who died of lung cancer some 15 years ago. One was a Valentine's card sent a couple weeks before my mom's letter. It talked about their train trip to Phoenix (my grandpa was the second of three generations of railroad workers in my family). It ended with "In the meantime, we are sending you $10.00 so you can get two loads of clothes washed because we don't want a grubby granddaughter walking around Paris. We miss and love you very much. Love as always, Grandma and Gramps"

The thing that struck me (and my sisters, when I read it to them) about the first letter is how weird but cool it was that my mom was talking to me like a peer, even though I was only a year and a half out of high school. I'm positive I missed it at the time. It's weird to "hear her voice" with different ears, now that I'm the age she was when she wrote it.

My grandpa's letter, and several more I found just like it were pure love. It was like a 20-year old hug that had never lost its warmth. I miss him. My grandma is still living, though is really struggling with dementia, so I called her today and read the letters to her and thanked her again for the $60 bucks they sent me 20 years ago. It took a while to get through the conversation, but it's reassuring to know that she's still "there" --- in spite of her struggles.

So I'm going to put these letters away in a safe spot, and hopefully will stumble on them again in another 10 years or so.

This de-cluttering process is really humbling. I have filled my house with so much useless crap. From time to time, it's nice to be reminded about where my true wealth lies. :o)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions