SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Pretty moss, but is it good or bad?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
15 years ago

Last fall when I ordered a bunch of Dend moniliforma, all came planted in sphag in very deep, but narrow plastic pots. I have never had good luck with sphag and plastic. Clay and sphag works for me, but not plastic and sphag. Most looked like they had just been repotted, but two of them had a very thick layer of live moss growing on the top. Since it was late fall I didnÂt want to repot them, but the moss bothered me all winter. Since it completely covered the top of each pot I was wondering if it could be preventing the sphag from drying and breathing normally? Heck, it was so thick I couldnÂt even see the sphag.

Here are a couple of pictures of what I mean. As you can see, IÂve started to pull the moss out of the pot with a tweezers, but it clearly shows how thick this stuff was. I would say it was easily a ½ inch deep.

{{gwi:154081}}

{{gwi:154082}}

So I went ahead and removed all the live moss from the two plants and repotted them in clay pots instead of plastic. As I suspected the sphag underneath was still very wet even though I hadnÂt watered in about a week. HereÂs the surprising thing: One of the plants had very distressed roots. In fact, there were very few viable roots. They had clearly rotted over the winter underneath the live moss. The other plant looked wonderful. Nice white roots were happily growing throughout the pot.

So the question: Is a thick layer of moss growing on top of the pot generally seen as a good or bad thing or does it just depend on the plant, what itÂs potted in and what kind of medium? Do you generally remove it or just let it be? I would imagine there isnÂt anything that would kill it without killing the plant?

Kevin

Comments (16)