SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zahrasix

Dry Soil with no water retention - Bad soil or peat moss? PLEASE HELP!

zahrasix
7 years ago

Hello all! I'm new to these forums and I was hoping you guys could help!

So this year I decided to get really into gardening after previous simpler garden beds and have put in a lot of time/ effort / and $$$ into setting up multiple large garden beds, and have them filled with garden soil. I ordered a truckload of 'premium garden soil' that was supposed to have everything I need in it to grow perfect veggies.

Now I have planted a few seeds and have been watering and I have noticed theres NO moisture control in here! Like I will soak it and come back a few hours later and theres only 20% moisture left. I think a reason seeds arent sprouting is because of it. I am used to thoroughly watering once every 3 days. But now by day 2 its DRY and sandy. I have been researching why and came across this site and I might have figured it out .... peat moss! Before doing my garden I did a lot of research and everyone said you MUST put in peat moss as it will KEEP IN the moisture in your garden. But now I am reading that it can CAUSE a lack of moisture retention!?! UGHHH

So now I dont know what the problem is. Did they just give me crappy soil to begin with? (It felt slightly sandy) or did I ruin everything with the peat moss??

More importantly - HOW CAN I FIX THIS!!! I'm really bummed out right now :( Spent hundreds of dollars on soil and I'm scared i've messed it all up with a stupid $20 worth of peat moss. Please help!

Comments (22)