SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Even the bad was pretty good

sherryocala
13 years ago

About 10 days ago I took these photos after 5 good days of rain and 30 days of post nasal drip which kept me under the weather enough that deadheading was the last thing on my mind. So if this is as bad as the beauty gets, then I'm a happy gardener.

Souv de Francois Gaulain with his flowers quite open even after rain. This was really the first time I'd seen a wholesale good bloom. He's been balling much of his young life. Being a very short fellow (maybe 15" tall x 4' wide), he compensates with a lot of flowers almost all the time and dense, healthy foliage.

{{gwi:298557}}

{{gwi:298559}}

Enchantress is another healthy bushy thing with flowers almost identical to SdFG but less bright. She is about 2-1/2' tall and wouldn't be 5' wide had her huge candelabra cane not flopped over. She's the balling queen, but I think she's getting over it.

{{gwi:298561}}

{{gwi:298563}}

I've heard her described as "ending badly", but isn't Anna Olivier lovely even covered in aging flowers. She loves the heat and is finally bulking up again. She saves her biggest growth for the hottest days. She's easily 6' wide but still only about 3' tall.

{{gwi:298565}}

What? An ugly shot of Le Vesuve? Hey, he's an honest rose who doesn't shy away from reality, but who wouldn't have dried brown tissue paper hanging from him after being pounded with rain for days? But he's still blooming through it all. And deadheading him was a JOB.

{{gwi:298566}}

Young Souv d'Elise Vardon just after her biggest flush with the fewest veggie centers yet. Here she's still all leafed out, preparing for the next round. Blackspot on teas in humid central Florida? Fahget about it.

{{gwi:298567}}

Sherry

Comments (13)