SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bella_trix_gw

So cool! Parasitic wasps

bella_trix
16 years ago

I'm so excited! I just found my first real evidence of parasitic wasps in my garden. This morning, I saw a large group of little black wasps flying around my rose bushes. Then tonight, I found this on my kale:

{{gwi:142975}}

From the web, it appears to be the cocoons of the parasitic wasp Apanteles glomeratus on one of my annoying cabbage worms. I've been hand picking and squishing (hope I didn't squish too many baby wasps) or feeding to the birds. I was particularly pleased to find it on my kale. I don't mind sharing broccoli leaves, but I want every inch of the kale.

I'm so pleased with my garden right now. It's my first year in Pennsylvania and in a brand new garden, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The garden is absolutely crawling and buzzing with good or neutral bugs. I have tons of long-legged flies, lady bug larvae, hoverflies and spiders. My firebush (which I have a love/hate relationship with) was literally covered with black aphids, but I saw mating lady bugs so I left it. A short time later the bush was crawling with lady bug larvae and ALL the aphids were gone. I stole a bunch of larvae and moved them to my garden.

Any way, I was having a not so good day, then I found the wasp cocoons. It was one of three really cool things I saw today and it brightened my mood. Hope all of you are knee deep in beneficial bugs.

Bellatrix

Comments (3)