SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_il

Covet

suzanne_il
17 years ago

My desktop copy of Webster's New World Compact School & Office Dictionary says this about the word covet:

cov/et (kuv'it) vt., vi (L. cupiditas, cupidity) to want ardently (esp., something that another person has).

Today I drove my MIL to the grocery store in search of her Easter ham. On the way home she wanted to stop at McDonald's and pick up some hamburgers. I haven't had a McDonald's in probably 10 years, but that's what she wanted. We ordered to hamburger Happy Meals - for girls, and took them home. Included in the Happy Meal was this:

{{gwi:154490}}

The hang tag says she's a Madame Alexander "Wicked Witch of the East" from The Wizard of Oz and her eyes open and close. I don't remember the witch being dressed in such colorful garb, but I could be wrong. Madame Alexander has come a long way if she's now hanging out at McDonald's!

I've heard all my life that coveting is a sin or at the very least wrong. The first time I can remember coveting was when I was about 8 years old. Madame Alexander dolls were all the rage and a neighbor girl had a beautiful collection of dolls. (I remember Storybook dolls too, were they the same?) Her father was a judge and they could well afford such luxuries. Perhaps the sin part came in when my mind started wondering why my dad didn't have a similarly wonderful and good paying job to afford these dolls. My poor dad! He was working three jobs at the time in order to support 4 kids. How rude of me!

By the time I got older and could afford a Madame Alexander my desire for her had faded, but the penchant for coveting has not.

Perhaps "covet" is not the correct word, it's more like "dreaming". It's the feeling you get when you're flipping through a particularly wonderful catalog and envisioning how an item will look in your home or your garden.

I drove out to Big Rock the other day and on the way home I spotted a TAB, which is a veyr small teardrop shaped camper. COVET...COVET. I stopped and looked at the four they had on the lot. Amazingly you can stand up inside, there's a king size bed, table, mini kitchen, heat pump, a/c, CD player/TV. I think I'm in love.

Marda - would you believe my car is now 8 years old? It's got plenty of miles under her belt and we're going to be replacing her with a small pickup truck in the fall. I'm dreaming of getting one in a color that matches the TAB I'm coveting.

Here is a link that might be useful: The TAB

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions