SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nandina_gw

The 'aspirin technique' for controlling some plant diseases

nandina
17 years ago

Technically aspirin is not organic. It is your choice as to using it as a foliar plant spray. Certainly we are all familiar with how it benefits Homo sapiens.

A number of us have been experimenting with the aspirin technique since mention was made in the Avant-Garde magazine. The basic recipe is 1 1/2 tablets of non-coated aspirin tablets to a gallon of water plus 1 tablespoon of yucca extract. This is foliar sprayed either every two or three weeks apart on tomatoes to discourage disease. If you do a search for yucca extract confusion will set in. Which one should you buy? The yucca extract is a basic organic soap used as a 'sticker' which helps liquid spread and adhere to a leaf surface.

For those who might be interested, the thought has been in the back of mind for awhile to try using a starch rather than a soap as a sticker. So, I began experimenting. Am pleased with the results. What follows is my recipe which gardeners might find helpful combating plant diseases. A reminder...treatment should be started early in the growing season. I begin spraying tomato seedlings when the first true leaves appear and thereafter every two weeks.

How to make the "sticker"....

Purchase a yuca root (note spelling of yuca) which should be available at super market vegetable counters. Try to find one that weights about 1 1/2 lbs. Peel and cube the root, then process it in a food processor with one cup of water until finely ground. Add to 4 cups of water and let all sit on the counter for 24 hours. Strain the yuca and liquid through a sieve, saving the liquid. Now line the sieve with a paper towel and pour the liquid through this for a final straining. Pour the strained yuca liquid into ice cube trays; freeze and store for future use.

Making one gallon of the aspirin formula...

Dissolve 1 1/2 aspirin tablets in one cup of water. Add four yuca root ice cubes and wait until they dissolve. Now, blend all together with a hand blender, pour in a gallon jug and add water to fill. It is also possible to now add compost tea or foliar organic fertilizers to this mix on a per gallon basis. The best time to spray plants is early morning. BTW...this mixture cannot be saved. It must be mixed up fresh as needed. Don't be afraid to spray other plants with it. Note to Dachall: I am trying it on plant mildew problems. Too early to give you a report yet.

Comments (16)