SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aviastar

Companion plants as pest/disease control?

I've been reading around the interwebs and have found several references to some companion plants for roses that mitigate pests and/or some disease.

Such as:
chive; more attractive to aphids than roses, control blackspot, discourages Japanese beetles (other garlics and onion also suggested)

marigolds; ward off aphids, thrips, and roots make the soil inhospitable for root knot nematodes

lavender; deters rabbits(!)

yarrow; attracts ladybugs

Some of these make more sense to me than others. Garlics exude sulphur which helps control blackspot? This one seems to be the biggest stretch for me, but I'm still developing my gardening instincts, so maybe I just don't have enough experience yet.

I'm not trying build a super-no-spray garden (don't think I could, really, in blackspot heaven VA), but I will need to add some companions in my new rose beds eventually, so might as well take all the help I can get! And I am interested in the discussion simply for educations sake, as well.

Anyone have experience with companion plants benefiting their roses? Successes, failures?

What say you, O Roasiarians of GardenWeb?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals