SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pharaoness

My new Phal- how to maintain beauty and health

14 years ago

Hi, I just got this new phal from Home Depot on sale (the blooms began to wilt on one spike, but otherwise it's still nice!).

I want to make sure this one safely ends its blooming period and re-enters it healthy, as my last one did not fair so well (nearly died, still in recovery and I'm hoping it will survive).

I've attached pictures that show the entire orchid, it's multiple off-shoot spikes (still has a few blooms, but must be at the end of its cycle since you can see the one that is wilted), and a close up of the rooting medium (the moss is only on top, below is all fir-bark).

First, I'm wondering how I should treat the multipe spikes once the blooms all drop, because I want it to bloom the same way (multiple offshoots look beautiful), so I don't really want to cut them off... What is the best way to proceed?

I'm aware that it definitely needs to be repotted (the pot is FULL of roots), but I won't disturb it until it has completely ended its flowering cycle. But just for my own knowledge, are the open roots at the base okay like that? I'm assuming they are this way because it doesn't seem to have aerial roots now?

I have it in a west-facing window (all windows face west in my apartment), I live in Toronto Canada, the temperature is about 15 C or 59 F daytime, 7 C or 44 F at night. It receives indirect sunlight. I water once a week (or as needed) on and off with fertilizer (19-31-17 from Schlutz), and mist (not the blooms) every other day.

Also, any tips on the current state of my new Phal? How to keep it blooming (if possible), what to change, ANY input/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:147226}}

Comment (1)