SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

One room school again.

gandle
16 years ago

O.K., I promise I won't write any more about the country school but I just for some reason remembered something strange.

Our desks were so old fashioned that they still had a hole in them for an inkwell. No, we didn't use an inkwell but these desks were from the late 1800's. The girl that sat right in front of me, the back of the seat for her desk was the front of my desk, so, I looked at the back of her head when I looked up. One day I was fascinated by what I decided were small ants crawling around in her hair. She always wore 2 short pigtails and I could see these (ants) crossing the part in her hair.

When I got home that afternoon of course I had to tell grandma about the ants in Sadie Mae's hair. She was horrified and I remember her immediately washing my hair and inspecting it with a magnifying glass. Apparently I didn't have (ants), you know I was really a little disappointed. I thought they were quite nice.

We were on a party line and grandma called everyone she could, many didn't have phone service and warned them about the head lice.

The next morning Sadie Mae smelled like kerosene but I couldn't see any little pets cavorting on her head.

This little one room school didn't have electricty. The windows, I think there were four, were on the east and all we used for light was what came through the window. Except, there were two kerosene lamps hanging from the ceiling on the west side of the room. It was a rare occasion when the teacher thought the day dark enough that she would let the lamps down and light them. As I remember the lamps really didn't help a lot but that was high tech before were got REA. After I went to town school the REA came through and we got it at the farm too along with the school about a mile away.

O.K., I promise that was the last of the one room school bit.

In other news, little CJ now weighs almost 13 pounds, is still on minimal supplementary oxygen. The bad news, his mother's lupus has flared up and the poor gal is in a lot of joint pain plus problems with liver etc. her rheumatologist is trying her on something other than the hated prednisone and is hopeful that with an early aggressive attack on the disease they can bring the lupus under control.

Didn't intend to write a book but so be it.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions