SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnygrl_gw

Lasagna garden issues and question!! Help...please!

sunnygrl
14 years ago

Ok, so this is my first year trying to garden and I chose to do a raised bed/lasagna garden. I am really satisfied with the way it looks so far but I am having issues ( I guess, could be normal for all I know!) and have some questions. Some background first though...I used what I had readily available to make it and the layers are as follows, base layer of newspapers- 6 deep with an overlap, layer of old produce/peels and coffee grounds, layer of wheat straw, layer of horse manure (contains 1/2 composted, 1/2 semi-fresh), straw, manure, shredded newspaper, manure, straw, coffee grounds, and so on in that order for the most part, ending with a somewhat thick layer of straw and horse manure and a very thin layer of bagged soil . Now first question, did I mess up by planting my seeds into the manure without mixing it half and half with soil? In your opinion, will they just get burnt up? Also, after I planted all the seeds I felt like it was too dry on the top where the seeds were so I sprinkled a thin layer of straw for moisture retention...was this a good or bad idea? ( I am not sure if the seeds will get to hot, be buried down to far, be too wet, etc. etc. Oh and I put in all seeds except 3 tomato plants, if I leave the straw, should I at least pull it away from the base of the plants? I am so a beginner and need help! Anyone done it like this before? Should I change anything? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Comments (2)