SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sakmeht

I want to try lasagna gardening, but...

sakmeht
16 years ago

We have a raised garden plot that we tilled last year, picked out the sod, then tilled in compost. No other amendments, we just planted. No mulch, either. Needless to say, in our clay soil and hot weather (high 90's) our garden didn't do so hot. The water ran off the soil and okay it wasn't pretty! I guess I don't need to go on. So I like the idea of lasagna gardening, and I want to do it this year but since we did till compost in last year and we have these dried lumpy 'rows' in our garden from flood irrigating we are thinking of just tilling it under with some manure added to smooth things out. Then I thought I'd do the newspaper layers and use straw as a mulch, planting through the newspaper. Since this wouldn't be a true lasagna garden really we'd get some drip irrigation going (I hated the flood type) and hopefully have better success. I'd like it to be the last year we till.

So I guess I'm wondering if you all think we should just build on top of our lumps and layer newspaper, manure, compost, straw on top, or do you think the above idea would work for the first year? I'm paranoid about the watering issue. I like the idea of drip irrigation and just watering when it really seems like the garden needs it. It can get so HOT in sw idaho - low 100's last year! Seems like I can't find much info on watering a lasagna garden, either. I know you wet down the layers as you build, but how often do you water these things? 2 inches per week and more if there's no rain or what?

I'm just looking for ideas and support, I guess! Thanks

Comments (13)